Saturday, September 12, 2015

Poem: Swerve

This is something that I was mulling over last night when I couldn't sleep.
--------------------------------
Swerve
When I get in a car, the anxiety
it starts immediately.
Cars moving on the left
A semi-truck approaching from behind
a motorcyclist up ahead
(WEAR A DAMN HELMET!)
and a truck on the right.
Too many lights,
everything is moving,
everything is moving too fast.
Then the feelings start.
I get to thinking.
My body goes into autopilot as I drive,
my brain starts stewing.
Thoughts are simmering
waiting to be released
waiting for the chance to see the light of day.
And then, like it always does,
it hits me.
"Why don't you?"
"What's stopping you?"
It would be so easy, my brain agrees,
one twitch
one muscle movement
and nothing would stop me
until the final stop.
It would all be over.
All of the anxiety,
all of the stress,
melting away like autumn leaves falling to the forest floor.
So I swerve.
----------------------------------------------------
That's literally some of the stuff that goes through my head when I'm driving. Sitting in the passenger seat of a car is kind of worse. Then I want to open the door and jump out. I hate driving.....

No comments:

Post a Comment